Monday, November 19, 2012

joining the 21st century

Current work: dirty draft of new Cherish (aka M&B #55)
Listening to: Beethoven
Reading: Ali Ahearn and Ros Baxter, Sister Pact (loved it – not just because Al’s my mate, though the author note put a real lump in my throat); Louise Candlish, The Day You Saved My Life (a real pageturner)

Did some Christmas shopping this weekend. Son finally decided what he wanted for Christmas, so I made him come with me to try on said long black coat, and we need to order it in the right size. Daughter needed a new school bag (I note that Gola has completely ignored my email to them saying how disappointed I am in the quality of their products, and that I expect a bag that’s looked after to last for more than two months without the stitching going). And Santa also arrived for me – via the postie, just before we went out.


DH said I was allowed to check the screen (given that there are issues with some batches) and then had to hand it back for unwrapping. I think he knew that wasn’t going to happen, as I'd already bought a case for it :o) (He’s had his main pressie early, so what’s sauce for the gander…) And I’m very pleased with it. I don’t mind not having anything to unwrap on the day. I get much more fun out of giving than receiving, in any case. (Though if you’re reading this, O lovely husband, do remember that I am very partial to Fortnum & Mason’s choccies. Or a tin of their violet biscuits, though you’ll have to make that a joint present between me and the kids because they are total locusts.)

I also managed to sneak in a couple of reindeer for the tree. My Fortnum’s peacock, however, is NOT going on the tree. That’s my office peacock. (Dear ed. I think you ought to be worried. I have plans for that peacock.)

There will be exciting news later today. But my publisher is on Mountain Time, which apparently is 7 hours behind GMT (aka my timezone). So right now they’re all tucked up in bed asleep. And I am on a post-gym endorphin rush, the laundry is on and my coffee’s made, so that’s me off the internet for the next couple of hours and focusing on the new book. Have a nice day!

4 comments:

Sheila Norton said...

Hope you enjoy your Christmas pressie, Kate! I was a convert to Kindle last year, absolutely love it, (although I still read print books too).

Scarlet Wilson said...

Oh, oh, oh! Excited! I bought a Fortnum's peacock too!!! Also bought a Christmas bauble that got caught on the door at the Charing Cross and sashed! Never mind!

Caroline said...

Ahhh Kindle love. I've had mine for a year now and I love it more each day! Caroline x

Mary Preston said...

We've been doing some early Christmas gifting too. It made sense, because my son needed the table now. His surprise was just a little early that's all.

I do love buying gifts.