Friday, August 10, 2012

50th party blog guest - Fiona Harper

The first time I met Fiona Harper, it was at an awards do and I was in rabbits-in-headlight mode and didn’t say a lot (I’d been shortlisted for the first time and it was scary stuff – like being at a posh wedding when you’re one of the really common, vulgar cousins, y’know?). She probably thought I was the rudest person on the planet, especially as she’d sent me a really lovely email about one of my books! But I did buy her a coffee and apologised for it, next time I met her :o) She’s another of my friends who gives me major hair envy. (I want her hair. I do.) We’re about the same age, our kids are similar ages, we discovered years back that we both like Suzanne Vega and chocolate and wine, and – well, she’s a really lovely woman and I’m proud to be her friend. (She is also responsible for me buying a PDA, in the years before the iPad came out, and an updated version of Dragon. So we have techie stuff in common as well.) And her books are great. (I would know. I have all of them. Her housekeeper book made me wake up my littlest so I could give her a hug.)

Over to Fiona:

The whole of Britain is gripped by Olympic fever at the moment – me especially. I’m a London girl, born and bred, and I’m very proud of my hometown right now. But I’ve always loved the Olympics, and sit glued to the television for the two weeks it’s on, even though I never watch any other sport throughout the year. Why? What is it about the Olympics that grabs our hearts and imaginations?

I think that maybe it’s the same things that engage us in a really good book. It’s all about hopes and dreams, high stakes and supreme obstacles. It’s about the stories of the men and women behind the public face of the athlete, the things that have driven them to dedicate themselves to their sport. Not just the physical but the personal sacrifices they have made to get them where they are today.

And I’m here to celebrate the milestone of FIFTY good books by my friend Kate Hardy! And she’s written them in a scarily short space of time. Some of them have been bestsellers. Some of them have won awards. But I know she isn’t finished yet. She’s got plenty more stories left in her, thank goodness!

But gold isn’t just for Olympic champions… When we think of anniversaries, each of them have a significant symbol. And fifty means GOLD. So, well done, Kate! If I could give you a gold medal to celebrate this amazing achievement, I would. (Maybe I can find a chocolate one somewhere, because I know that will go down well!)

And for a present for Kate’s mega blog party, I’m giving away a copy of my latest release Always The Best Man, which features a sassy bridesmaid in a gold dress. She’s got her sights set on the oh-so-perfect best man, heaven help him… Just comment below (all you have to do is put your hand up and say you want to enter) and Kate will pick a winner.

Find out more about Fiona’s books on her website:
http://www.fionaharper.com
or find her on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/fi.harper.author
Follow her on Twitter @FiHarperAuthor

9 comments:

Caroline said...

Great blog Kate and Fiona! Like you, I've been glued to the Olympics! The gold medals have been pouring in. And how appropriate that Kate is celebrating her own golden moment. Fantastic! Caroline x p.s been following your RWA expolits on various blogs Fiona. What a great time was had by all me thinks! p.p.s promise I'm not a cyberstalker - just a romance blog junkie!

Natalija said...

Kate, congratulations on celebrating your 50th book. It's a huge achievement! I have read "Housekeeper's Happy-Ever-After" by Fiona Harper & can't express enough how much I enjoyed that book. Pls put my name in the hat if it's opened internationally.

Kelly Hunter said...

Fiona, you're one of my go-to authors for when I want a fun, fabulous and heart warmingly sexy read. Thank you!

Olympics, yes. One of the rare times I dislike being out of time sync with the rest of the world.

We get to watch the races and the events every morning on the tele, but unless we stay awake all night in real time and watch them, we already know who's won.

I want to know what the Queen's going to do for a closer. Will there be corgis involved, do you think?

Lesley Cookman said...

What ho, girls. Lovely blog and I'll chip in for a gold medal, too. Like the idea of the sassy bridesmaid. And which one was the housekeeper book?

Fiona Harper said...

Hi everyone!

First of all, I have no memory AT ALL of Kate not being her lovely chatty self when I first met her, so I hadn't noticed if she didn't feel she on top form!

Olympaholics Anonymous, Caroline. That's you and me. And I did have a fab time in Anaheim, although it's a big blur now. Think the jet lag has wiped most of it from my memory.

Thanks to everyone who said such lovely things about my books! Especially you, Ms Hunter! (We had a bit of a mutual fan-girly moment when we finally met face to face lat year... "I love your books." "No, I love YOUR books..."

Hi, Lesley! The book in question was 'Housekeeper's Happy Ever-After'.

Kate Hardy said...

Caroline - I never thought of myself as being very sporty, but it's been fabulous to watch.

Natalija - yep, it's worldwide! (And that's my favourite book of Fi's.)

Kel - how is she going to beat James Bond?

Lesley - it'll be a goodie. 'The Housekeeper's Happy-Ever-After' is the one and you WILL need tissues!

Liz Fielding said...

Have been just loving the Olympics, Fiona, specially the crowds actually singing the anthem when the flag does up. V. special spirit abroad - hope it lasts.

Meanwhile I'm having cover envy. Have to own that book!

Fiona Harper said...

I know! I love my cover. It's just like the scene I described when I did my art fact sheet. (Except, maybe, that my heroine is a little more...generously...proportioned!)

Kate Hardy said...

First name drawn from the hat for a copy of 'Always the Best Man' -Natalija. Please contact me kate(dot)hardy(at)btinternet(dot)com with your snailmail addy, Natalija, and I'll get the book in the post to you :o) Thanks for taking part!