Friday, September 23, 2011

the best sort of weekend

Current work: experimenting with form (aka craft stuff)
Listening to: Bach
Reading: Kristan Higgins, The Next Best Thing (excellent – and was very shocked to realise that not only are her books written in first person (which usually puts me off as I like third person, dual viewpoint – lazy of me perhaps, as that’s what I tend to write), they’re written in present tense (which nearly always puts me off because I feel it makes the writing feel self-conscious). However, the characterisation is so strong and the storytelling’s so good that to me it reads like a third-person past tense - highly recommended).

Have some great news from lovely ed, yesterday: ‘The Ex Who Hired Her’ (aka the department store story) will be released in the US next April. Excellent.

She's planning to come back to me re the outlines next (aka I have a temporary reprieve from revisions, which was what I thought I might be doing this weekend). So today I really should be doing my backup outlines in case she hates them as much as I think she might. But the sun is shining and my head is saying, ‘Friday: day off, time to play’, so I’m experimenting with form. Writing outside my usual box will hopefully make my work a bit deeper.

I have an excellent weekend lined up (depending on what lovely ed says about outlines). Tonight, am going to the theatre with son. We're both really looking forward to it.


Tomorrow, am going shopping with daughter – mainly to pick up her new guitar book from the music shop, but I have a feeling I’m going to be strong-armed into a bookshop as well.

And then I think I need to sweet-talk DH as I have a real yearning for the sea...

4 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

Always lovely to hear good news! Hope you had a fab time at the theatre. The dh and I are trying to decide what to see when we're in London.

C Annison said...

Hi, last week I noticed a sign for your Mills and Boon workshop in Attleborough. I was very disappointed when I noticed that the date had passed and that I had missed it. But when I got home I thought I would have a look on your web site to see if you were doing them anywhere else in Norfolk. For once my luck is in and you have changed dates ! So I have got my name down.I am really looking forward to it.
Incase you want to know a little bit about me my blog is

http://traineeparanormalromancewriter.blogspot.com/

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - we really enjoyed it! Hope you manage to find something good for London. (And I assume this is next month, for AMBA? Look forward to seeing you there!)

Kate Hardy said...

Hi Catherine - nice to meet you here and how lovely to hear that you're coming to the workshop!

The date had to change as the librarian broke her hand - glad it's worked in your favour. Good luck with your writing, in between :)