Wednesday, June 29, 2011

thunderbolts and lightning…

Current work: my 50th M&B (aka Rome-set Riva)
Listening to: Beethoven piano sonatas
Reading: Sarra Manning, You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me (wish I’d written this – can very much identify with a nerdy, bookish, overweight heroine; plus some of the scenes have had me laughing out loud for the right reasons. Very witty, very warm, and I’m going to buy her backlist now)

Rather glad I sort of planned this week off as it’s been too sticky to work. Two mega-humid nights here were followed yesterday afternoon by some spectacular lightning and downpours – very grateful as it made the air a little more bearable. Had a very tearful child who was too hot and sticky to sleep on Monday night; DH was called out to work to sort out a heat-related problem; and then my car started flashing the ‘there’s an electronics problem, take me to the garage NOW’ light on the dashboard. Temporary fix of a pipe to keep it driveable, and it’s going in next week for a really long diagnostics check as they couldn’t get to the bottom of it yesterday.


Also had a meeting about son’s trip to Ypres and I’m highly envious – would like to go too. Had a brief look on the commonwealth graves website to see if any of our family is buried there, and it seems that my third cousin twice removed was buried there (he was 10 years older than my grandmother). So I guess son will be paying his respects at Tyne Cot. Actually, as it’s on Dad’s side of the family, I did have a lump in my throat. It’s something he would’ve liked to share. But the one that really upset me was the third cousin twice removed who’s buried at Heuvall – he was killed in action only a week after he was sent to France. Such a waste.


Today is daughter’s film premiere (all three Y5 classes made a film). Tomorrow is the Norfolk Show. Friday is an inset (teacher-training) day. Saturday is a friend’s book launch. Sunday, I’m sleeping all day…

1 comment:

Caroline said...

....ver, very frightening...(sorry couldn't resist the Queen song there....

Hugs on the humidity - it saps you like a leech doesn't it!

Like you, I would love to go to the war graves and see the WWI trenchs - hope DS has a great ime. But as you say - such a waste of life...my grandfather came out alive - but he went AWOL and never saw his 1st family again. He remarried (my grandmother) bigamously as it turns out - and was a very unhapy soul by all accounts. He died when my dad was 10. So sad - and such a waste... sigh ...Take care - Caroline x