Friday, December 31, 2010

Ring out the old

Today’s a day for looking back: and 2010 is going to be one of those years I will be glad to see the back of.

Given the situation with Dad, I was expecting it to be a rough year, which was why I planned lots of nice research trips with DH and the kids to keep me going. Those were the good bits of the year: visiting Venice and Paris for the first time, and finally getting to see Pompeii and Vesuvius.

The rest of it – Dad was seriously ill with pneumonia in January and we didn’t expect him to pull through. Somehow, he did, but we lost an awful lot of him. There were several further ‘blips’ throughout the year, where we lost a bit more of him each time, until he passed away in December. It was a very long and painful goodbye, and I spent the whole year grieving. And then another family crisis blew up just after the funeral. (Not blogging about it, but I am not impressed by certain people’s behaviour.)

As for how the resolutions went – er, they didn’t. Complete lack of headspace resulted in complete lack of progress.

I am determined that 2011 is going to be much, much better.

2 comments:

hydra said...

I sincerely hope 2011 will be a better one for you and I'm so glad your dad pulled through, in whatever form. I found your blog and website through Googling beetroot and cumin soup, and I'm so glad I did! I am a children's author (Love Cheat (Scholastic) is only one in print at the moment. Your output is simply inspirational! Perhaps it will spur me on, though all my M&B attempts have failed so far.

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, Hydra - and LOL about how you found me!

Sadly, Dad passed away at the beginning of December (and to be honest it would've been kinder for him had he not made it through the pneumonia in January). But he's still around in spirit and memories.

Good luck with your books :o)