Monday, December 14, 2009

counting down to Christmas

Current work: French duo book 2
Listening to: Def Leppard
Reading: Shirley Wells, Into the Shadows (finished and thoroughly recommend – I didn’t guess who the killer was); Nicola Cornick, Kidnapped (rollicking adventure yarn – great fun, especially as the heroine was more than a match for the hero’s horrible family! Thoroughly recommend this one, too)

Weekend of Christmas festivities. Lovely meal out on Saturday night: roulade of local blue cheese served with a waldorf-type salad (except better) and a pickled walnut; roast turkey and trimmings; and finally egg-nog semifreddo with mincemeat shortbread (though it tasted more like marzipan to me and talk about melt-in-the-mouth). And with the starters there was home-made wholemeal bread… I was going to be good and stick to the diet, but the lure of warm home-made bread (especially as I knew it would be excellent) was a bit too much for me! Was worth this morning's disappointing scales.

Yesterday was daughter’s best friend’s birthday, so they went off to the cinema. We took son shopping and found him the thing he really wanted for Christmas but I hadn’t been able to source online. He was like a dog with two tails all afternoon, bless him.

Today – well, so far I’ve already walked more than 15,000 steps as my car had its first service and I decided to do the last little bits of shopping rather than sit and wait. Rang DH to explain that the car service bill was cheaper than last year’s, to the tune of one Radley signature handbag. Big sigh from DH. ‘I know you don't want the latest signature bag. You went into Sonkai, didn’t you?’

Ye-e-es, but (a) it was before I picked up the car and (b) not for me. Bought something nice for daughter to go in her stocking. Thought about getting a second bracelet, as mine is full; but DH would moan, so decided against it (for now). However, I did talk to Craig (lovely goldsmith and jewellery designer at Sonkai) about something else… DH and I have been together for 25 years, next August. I would dearly like an eternity ring to commemorate that. I’m not after anything flashy. What I’d like is a narrow platinum band (to match my wedding ring in metal and size), with channel-set baguette-cut amethysts. And if we time our excursion to Capri right, then he can give me the ring in one of the most romantic places on earth. (Ha. Does it show that I’m a romance author, then? But next year is going to be a sticky year, so I’m planning nice memories to balance it out a bit.)

Righty. Better get back to work, because I am behind. Have a nice day :o)

14 comments:

Scarlet Wilson said...

Kate - you're a Radley girl at heart, I love it! Have 10 at last count (getting a bit scared to count again) and I know there is another one coming from DH for Christmas. A girl can never have too many bags.....need one to match every coat....no, better not go there.
As for bracelets got a gorgeous bookworm charm for LOL bracelet at almost half price as they've discontinued them. How dare they? The bookworm charm is the MOST gorgeous and absolutely apt for people like us.
There - you've done it - finally got me all excited for Christmas. Bravo Kate and I hope to see you this year the writers conference, I'll be the one with the Radley suitcase (DH doesn't know about that one yet!)

Miss Bougie said...

25 years next year?? - Mmmm... so are we!! Married, that is. Where did the time go?!
To celebrate we're planning a trip to a land (island, actually) far, far away
...without the kids, of course.

Good for you with the "happy memory creation" bit. In the end, that's all that counts, isn't it? Good memories with yout loved
one(s).
Keep the flame burning, Kate.

Kate Hardy said...

Susan - yup, I measure things in Radley terms ;o) And how lovely to know you're getting a Radley bag for Christmas!

Love the sound of the bookworm charm (must go and Google that one).

Glad I've got you in the Christmas spirit.

Envious of your Radley suitcase! But look forward to meeting you at the conference (methinks we have a LOT in common).

Kate Hardy said...

Brigitte - congrats on your silver, next year! (We're seven years behind you - I had to finish uni first; then as it was the late 80s it was a question of buying a house while we could still afford one; and then we had to move to a house with a proper garden so we could have a dog...)

Hope you have a lovely celebration! Ours is going to be with the kids (wouldn't be fair to leave them out of Pompeii) but on our actual silver wedding ours will be old enough and sensible enough to trust for a weekend...

Jan Jones said...

No, no, Kate. I've seen people wearing two, three, even four of those charm bracelets together...

Lacey Devlin said...

Awww I just love the sound of your eternity ring. So gorgeous!

Kate Hardy said...

Jan, you are a Bad Influence :o)

(And there's a new amber shop in Norwich. I really think we should do lunch.)

(All right, so I'm a bad influence, too.)

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - thanks :o)

Liz Fielding said...

An amber shop? I'm still looking for the exactly right necklace to go with my Hampstead Bazaar wrap bought last year. Trouble is, I know EXACTLY what I want!

The ring sounds perfect, btw. Sighing over that one :)

Jan Jones said...

Me? Bad Influence? Never.

Hmm...lunch in Norwich...

Sheila Norton said...

Hope you get your eternity ring Kate! And Capri ... wonderful.
We'll be celebrating (takes a deep breath) our FORTIETH wedding anniversary next year (I was a child bride of course), and also planning a special trip ... we hope. If all goes well. Better wait & see! x

Kate Hardy said...

Liz, I think you need to trek east... (And Jan. We could have a romantic author lunch and talk about books, so it's work and we don't feel even a twinge of guilt, and then go shopping...)

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - LOL. Neither am I ;o)

January, when the weather improves? (And you can sign my copy of Fortunate Wager...)

Kate Hardy said...

Olivia - how wonderful! (You were DEFINITELY a child bride!) Hope you get that special trip :o)