Monday, June 22, 2009

weddings and gelati

Current work: admin this morning, then starting new Medical
Listening to: Katie Melua
Reading: Donna Alward, Hired: The Italian’s Bride (enjoyed very much. Especially the picnic. And the puddings)

Lovely weekend. Had a ball on the radio and a nice lunch out. And then it was my first ice cream making session. Went for the ultra-low fat strawberry yoghurt ice cream. And it was fantastic. Why did I wait so long?

Saturday was wedding day around here; our neighbour’s daughter was getting married so everyone in the street crowded outside to wave her off in the morning (and she looked gorgeous). Saturday evening, it was our former neighbour’s wedding reception – coincidentally, at the same place where my cousin got married last year. Son had told me he had something to wear. I made him try it on in the afternoon and had to send him out with DH to buy something that fitted (another growth spurt, and I admit now that he’s taller than I am).

Son spent most of the first half of the evening (before food) playing football with the other boys. When we finally fished him back inside, the dancing was in full flow, and he did exactly what he did last time… his John Travolta bit on the stage at the far end of the dancefloor. And all the kids joined in with him. At one point they were synchronised (a moment when we wished we’d had the video camera rather than the still with us). They had such a good time, and it was great fun to watch them (from our side of the dance floor). DH spent a while dancing with this very pretty brunette with waist-length hair, but she abandoned him in favour of her brother, who’s a better dancer (!).

The thing about a wedding full of forty-somethings is the music played – it’s all late seventies’ disco (we were too young to go to discos, but knew all the songs from Top of the Pops) and eighties music. Brought back a few memories.

Sunday: fairly lazy day – tired out from three hours of dancing, the night before. Did final readthrough of the revisions and I’m happier with them. Expecting another set on this one, though, when my ed reads it (sent it this morning).

Plan for today: bit of admin in town, then starting the new Medical.

7 comments:

Jan Jones said...

The weekend sounds like a real boot to the spirits, Kate.

And I just love "a bit of admin in town"! That's what I'm going to be doing from now on.

Jan Jones said...

Er - that should read a real boost to the spirits.

Excuse me while I go and make some more tea.

Lacey Devlin said...

I love weddings! I have one in August. I think the key is to find shoes that won't eat your feet HA!

Liz Fielding said...

Glad you had such a great weekend, Kate. And weddings are so good for the soul.

Kate Hardy said...

LOL, Jan. You need tea.

It was admin. I had to get back copies of the local paper to send to my editors. And I needed a guitar footstool. The fact that I went into a chocolate shop as well is completely... admin :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - weddings and christenings. Just fab. And you're spot on about the shoes!

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - thank you, and absolutely.