Friday, May 15, 2009

finished and radio interview

Current work: Modern Heat
Listening to: Joe Lynn Turner
Reading: next on TBR

Finished the revisions. Finally. This was a reunion story; and I’d sorted everything out in the last chapter - which was really leaving it a bit late. My ed asked me to get them confronting the problems earlier instead of settling into a safe relationship, and she was absolutely right. She also asked me to take out the one bit of external conflict so that the marriage breakup was firmly laid at the feet of the hero and heroine. (Note to anyone reading this in hope of garnering tips: internal conflict is much more important.)

And then she said two little words: ‘Dig deeper.’

So this one needed a lot of thought. I've been tinkering here and there for days. Doesn't help that I'm not a linear writer - if I make a change that impacts earlier chapters, I go back to the beginning and fix it rather than ploughing on to finish that draft, then fixing the whole thing in the next. This is another reason why I could never do an 'online read'. My creativity doesn't work that way. It's fluid right up until I type the last word.

I think I’ve cracked it, though I won’t be surprised if I get second revisions. Some books are just like that. But there’s a little voice in my head that’s saying, ‘See? You’ve been found out as an impostor. You are not an award-winning novelist – that was an error in your favour. You’re a fake.’

Authorial paranoia strikes again. (All right. That was started by a French review where I was slapped for using a hook that lots of people use, i.e. the unexpected pregnancy. The reviewer clearly doesn’t like that particular hook and lambasted me because as ‘an experienced author she should know better’. I’m trying to do the ‘water off a duck’s back’ thing, but I have yet to develop the thick skin necessary for an author. And I guess that one stung more because she went on to be highly critical of the follow-up book – and I’m afraid that I do take that personally because there’s so much of me in Katrina.)

Ah well. Nice day planned. Need to pick up copies of the local paper this morning (I’m dying to see which pics they used from last Friday), might nip into the library for a teensy bit of research, and I’m on BBC Radio Norfolk this morning talking to Graham and Karen (FM - 95.1, 95.6, 104.4 – or you can listen on the internet here).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

as ‘an experienced author she should know better’Fwiw, my attitude is that whenever anyone uses the word "should" they're attempting to control other people. That's about them and their issues, nothing else.

If she'd said "I'm disappointed to see this tired old cliche in the work of an experienced author", well, that's her opinion and others may or may not agree.

But "should" = not worth listening to.

mpe

Caroline said...

Hi Kate. Bet you are glad the revisions are over! +ve thoughts now = no more revisions. Your editor is going to love what you've done! It always inspires me when I read blogs such as yours and other romance writers who tell us all about how difficult the creative process is. Sometimes I'm sure those that have never written a book think it's "easy". Take care. Caroline

Caroline said...

pps - forgot to add - I'm half way though Playboy Boss, Pregnancy of Passion and I'm enjoying Sara and Luke's story immensely. (I like his eco friendly approach to life not to mention the hot scenes in the Scarborough hotel!) Will finish it tonight - much to dh's annoyance i.e. "When are you going to switch the light off?" Take care. Caroline

Kate Hardy said...

MPE - thank you for helping to put that into perspective. (My French is a bit rusty, but that was the gist of it.)

As for the tired old cliche... There are only so many plots, so many hooks. The idea is to use the familiar and make it yours.

Or, as it's written on the Radley handbag I'm using this week, "The familiar is made beautiful by love".

Kate Hardy said...

Caroline - I'm definitely glad it's over! Particularly as it means I can work on the Modern Heat. I'm really excited about this one (though I still haven't 'fessed up to my ed exactly what I'm doing, as this isn't one of my weepies).

Felix and Daisy are talking to me. Big time.

Glad you're enjoying Playboy Boss. Wait till you meet Imelda! (Dog in question is currently curled up at DH's feet and snoring.)

Caroline said...

Hi Kate. Finished the book. Loved it. Met Imelda! From your previous blogs it was obvious who the shoe thief is! It's good to have inspiration from those we love in life. My dogs have yet to make an appearance in any of mine. But they will! Take care. Caroline x

Lacey Devlin said...

I have taken a sudden disliking to this French reviewer and wouldn't mind slapping him/her with leather gloves. I heartily protest and will gladly burn all evidence!

Kate Hardy said...

Caroline - glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for stopping by to tell me! I do have a bad habit of giving Byron a bit part in my books. Probably because I spend more time with him than I do with anyone else...

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - thanks for the support! Though really it's just one person's opinion; some may agree with her, others may not.

And I don't like every single book I've read: I simply choose not to talk about the ones I don't enjoy. My choice, just as other reviewers choose to be openly critical. And others still choose to be snarky (I don't read those because it feels like the cool kids at school sneering at the quiet, nerdy ones).