Thursday, May 07, 2009

dangle, leap and curl…

Current work: revisions for Med
Listening to: Bach
Reading: various research stuff

Squirrel has worked out how to get to the nuts. Dangle off the top of the bird-feeder station, leap onto the peanut-holder, then curl round it…


(Mind you, he knocked it off half an hour or so later. I think he was hoping the top would come off. Ha. It didn’t. Serves him right for being greedy.)

We also had an unusual wildlife encounter on the school run, yesterday morning. Something enormous and white flew over our heads – and suddenly the traffic ground to a halt. Annoyingly, I didn’t have my camera with me – because what was stalking up and down the road, making everyone wait for him? The most gorgeous swan. (Lightbulb. I could do a Children of Lir type book… oh, wait. Not going to work as a Medical romance, is it? The Swan Doctor… Dear, lovely ed. How about it? Doctor changes into swan, heroine changes him back? No, didn’t think you’d go for it, somehow…)

Lovely interview with Angi from the EDP yesterday morning. We’re doing a photoshoot tomorrow morning; note to self, remember to take book to photoshoot. (I have forgotten before – duuuh.)

The talk at school yesterday was great fun. The children in both sessions were really responsive and came up with some thoughtful questions (including some I couldn’t answer!). And I was so impressed by how they came in quietly, not chatting, and sat down nicely, and paid attention, and put their hands up rather than yelling out. They were a real pleasure to work with. AND the teacher gave me some roses to say thanks. I was so touched.

Plan for today: work. It’s actually my day to visit Dad, but he’s having a blip and (on my stepmum’s advice) I rang the home to see if he was able to have visitors. They’ve suggested leaving it a few days until he’s less confused. Mean of me? Actually, no. Dad’s in an excellent place where he’s getting the care he needs, when he needs it. And Parkinson’s is a nasty disease – it isn’t just tremors and a bit of slow movement. Dementia and mood changes are involved. Let’s just say I’ve learned the hard way that sometimes it’s better to skip a visit. Sure, you take the rough with the smooth, but that doesn’t mean being a martyr. It’s using time wisely so we both get the best out of the visit. (How much guilt did I go through before I achieved that bit of wisdom?)

So today is a day for concentrating on the good bits of life. I also have something exciting I can’t talk about yet, but will be bubbling about as soon as I can!

Oh, and do go over to Kate Walker and wish her a happy birthday.

6 comments:

Jan Jones said...

A swan on the school run? How cool is that. (Hmm - sounds like an Animal Ark title)

Glad school talk went well. Go on, what did the kids ask that you couldn't answer?

More exciting news? You are a tease, Ms Hardy!

Diane said...

Was the road wet? That's normally why a swan lands on dry land, they think it's a lake or other stretch of water and sometimes break their legs. How lovely, though, first thing in the morning.

Nicola Cornick said...

Intrigued by your exciting news! You're good at writing suspense!

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - it was very cool - but wait until you hear about today's wildlife!

They asked me how many people it took to build the cathedral and the castle (dunno - know what sort of craftsmen they needed and how long it took, but how many??? nope).

Kate Hardy said...

Diane - nope, the roads were bone dry. But just seeing him fly above us was stunning.

Kate Hardy said...

Nicola - LOL! But my lips are sealed...