Friday, April 24, 2009

settling back in/talking elsewhere about heroes

Current work: outlines and plotting
Listening to: Beethoven piano sonatas
Reading: Milly Johnson, A Summer Affair (intend to curl up on the sofa this evening with DH, dog and a glass of chilled sauvignon blanc, and finish this - though at the moment am v tempted to sit in the garden with the dog, a cup of tea and said book...)

I did it. I tidied my desk. After school, littlest just stood and gaped. ‘You actually tidied your desk.’ Mmm-hmm. Didn’t do anything else yesterday, bar a trip to return my library books (and cancel the research books that didn’t arrive - the system sometimes has a bit of a glitch).

Went swimming last night and discovered just how unfit I am. My arms really ache this morning! But also had ten minutes in the spa pool, and that was lovely. Ironed out some of the kinks (did I mention that I walked 18,000 steps on my London trip?).

Plan for today: finalise outline of new book and the one after (so I can get it agreed with lovely ed; this one might be pushing the envelope slightly. Not a time traveller per se... but I worked out how to get my Regency doctor). Might potter about a bit with the dog (aka thinking time).

It's a pity our comfy outdoor chairs have been scoffed by the mice over the winter, or I could’ve been tempted to sit in the garden, listening to birdsong and curled up with a good book. However. I’ve had three days off already this week (sort of - Wedsnesday was work, and also a lot of travelling, which was v tiring) and a fourth might be a bit greedy.

EDIT: Duh, almost forgot. I am doing something writerly today. Lovely Kate Walker asked me to talk about the Modern Heat hero - my take on it, which admittedly is rather individual - so I'm also talking at Kate's blog today - do come over and chat to me as I'm very happy to answer questions!

2 comments:

UB said...

Love your writing. Thanks for all those wonderful stories. Keep pouring them out.

Kate Hardy said...

UB - thank you very much! I'm trying :o)