Thursday, April 02, 2009

One of *those* days…

Current work: proofs and fiction
Listening to: Bach
Reading: next on TBR pile

The plan yesterday was: go into town, run some errands and do some shopping, then meet Ali. The traffic was a bit heavy on the way in, but I managed to park, went into Hotel Chocolat and sorted out stuff for the kids (and Ali’s)… and discovered at the cash desk that my wallet was not in my handbag.

I knew exactly where it was. Sitting on my desk. I’d decided that, as life is a bit miserable right now, I’d put some sparkle into someone else’s life to cheer myself up, so I sent my favourite uncle and aunt some Easter goodies via Hotel Chocolat’s website before I left home – and forgot to put my wallet back in my handbag.

Luckily I had enough cash in the bottom of my handbag to get me out of the car park. Drove home. Noted how heavy the traffic had become in the other direction. Picked up wallet. Took a different route into town and parked in a different car park. Had twenty minutes instead of just over an hour to get everything sorted. Didn’t get to Waterstone’s, but managed to run to Hotel Chocolat and the bank, and made it back to meet Ali just in time. Lovely lunch (quite restrained, actually; crème brulee was not on the menu, or I would have been naughtier. And the latte was fabulous). Picked up another handwriting pen to replace the one that Madam lost, bought cartridges for son’s pen, nipped into Sonkai and was reasonably good (a spacer. Oh, all right, and a bead. Lovely black mother-of-pearl – which has all sorts of tones of green and gold and blue and purple in it). Back to car park. Machine would NOT accept my money. Pressed the help button. ‘Try another machine,’ said the security guy. I did – but, because I had to queue again, that delayed me and the machine said I had to pay for an extra hour’s parking… Uhh. The wonders of technology.

Then I decided to go to the M&B website and order some extra copies of my last Medical (competition entries etc). Thwarted there, too as M&B had sold out... (I know this is a good thing, really. But I wasn't expecting it!)

Today, I’d like a nice quiet morning so I can get my proofs done and a nice chunk of fiction before my meeting at school this afternoon. Pretty please with sugar on it?

4 comments:

Kimberly Lang said...

I would laugh, but then my day would spiral out of control as karma kicked in...

Unknown said...

Oh dear. I've done the wallet trick and it's made me paranoid. I can't leave the house now without checking every five minutes to make sure I have it with me.

I hope today has been much, much better.

Kate Hardy said...

Kim - just think JBJ and a hot tub :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - it's usually my phone I forget. (Well... forget to recharge it, too.) DH and daughter were giggling in the kitchen last night. I discovered why, this morning, when he sent me a text - he'd changed my wallpaper for a pic of my daughter pulling this amazing face...

Thanks, yesterday was a lot better.