Friday, April 03, 2009

All Greek to me…

Current work: proofs and fiction
Listening to: Bach
Reading: A Thousand Days in Venice, Marlene de Blasi – even though it was written in first-person present tense (which isn’t my favourite), I enjoyed this – particularly the recipes and the descriptions of Venice. One day…

Thanks to lovely Michelle Styles giving me the heads-up that the Harlequin Greek site is up and running, I discovered that Sold to the Highest Bidder is out in Greece. Here, for your delectation, is the blurb… (And yes, I know the title of this post is a bad pun. Humour me. Bad puns are one of my guilty pleasures. Do feel free to share more in the comments!)

Αργά ή γρήγορα, θα υπέκυπτε…Ο Τζακ Γκόνταρντ ήταν ένας άνθρωπος που ήξερε τι ήθελε –κι έπαιρνε πάντα αυτό που ήθελε. Τώρα, σκόπευε ν' αγοράσει το πατρικό της Αλίσια Μπέρεσφοντ, ένα πανέμορφο παλιό αρχοντικό στην αγγλική ύπαιθρο. Αλλά, εκτός από το σπίτι, τον ενδιέφερε πολύ και η ίδια. Είχε καιρό να νιώσει τόσο έντονο πόθο για μια γυναίκα. Έτσι, της πρότεινε να συνεχίσει να ζει εκεί και να φροντίζει τους κήπους.

Η Αλίσια διαφωνούσε με τις ριζοσπαστικές μετατροπές που σχεδίαζε να κάνει ο Τζακ, και δέχτηκε την προσφορά του για να μπορεί να επιβλέπει τις εργασίες. Ωστόσο, ήταν ο πιο συναρπαστικός άντρας που είχε γνωρίσει ποτέ της. Όσο περισσότερο χρόνο περνούσε μαζί του, τόσο πιο δύσκολο της ήταν ν' αντισταθεί στην πολιορκία του. Και η ιδέα μιας εφήμερης ερωτικής περιπέτειες μαζί του φαινόταν ολοένα και πιο δελεαστική…

Statement meeting was really positive yesterday and I was very pleased with the outcome. One less thing to worry about.

Posting late this morning as I was a bad puppy and nipped into town. I have a craving for mango and crayfish salad (note – healthier than chocolate…) and I also needed a couple of tops as my two favourites have practically fallen to bits. Could have gone next week (Easter hols) BUT the kids loathe clothes-shopping and I’m planning two weeks of having fun and relaxing. Style-queen daughter will be moaning at me, though – she says I live in black trousers and plain tops. Yep. And I have several pairs of the same trousers – one on, a couple off, and a couple in the wash. I did try on a different colour today, but it wasn't me; I'm happy in this particular rut.

Today is my last proper full day of work for a fortnight – it’s school hols. Plan is to get up at normal time, and work while they sleep in; then I can spend the days with them, doing things and having fun. We’re planning to go to the glass factory (and see glass being blown) and the cinema, and everything else will depend on the weather.

2 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

So pleased you enjoyed A Thousand Days. She does capture the city and in particular the atmosphere of the market very well.

And isn't the Greek site great? Hooray that you found one of yours on it!

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks for the book rec - I did enjoy it!

The Greek site is great - again, thanks :o)