Friday, March 06, 2009

a triple celebration

Current work: nonfic and medical romance
Listening to: Sheryl Crow
Reading: next on TBR pile

Today is officially publication day, so that’s a double celebration. (Though I took these pics on the shelf at WH Smith’s in Norwich yesterday morning.)

First up is The Children’s Doctor’s Special Proposal, which is the second part of my London Victoria duo – for those who read The Greek Doctor’s New Year Baby, this is indeed Katrina’s story. It’s quite close to my heart for two reasons: firstly, I borrowed bits of the wedding from my cousins (who celebrate their first wedding anniversary this month – unsurprisingly, the book is dedicated to them), and secondly Katrina has my own disability. From the reader response I’ve had so far (it was out in the US last month), I’ve done the job right because she comes across as someone who doesn’t let her life be ruled by her disability: she works round it. (Just like I do. And I can guarantee that the deafness bits in it are absolutely genuine.)


Second is Surrender to the Playboy Sheikh, which is the first part of my To Tame a Playboy duo. I’d had a yen to write a sheikh for ages – and I’m thrilled that this is the very first Modern Heat sheikh. I’ve dedicated the book to lovely Liz Fielding, who writes wonderfully inspiring sheikhs (and who lent me a very good book as background – which I must return!! I know where it is on my shelf, though). Of course, being me, he’s not just a sheikh. His original job was really interesting. (Yup. He’s one of my nerdy scientists.) And I think that this cover might just be my favourite of all to date. It’s spot on for a scene in the book (you just have to imagine Vaughan Williams’ ‘Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis’ playing in the background).


And my third reason for celebrating? My ed loved the changes to my Norway book (even though I sneaked four live reindeer in right at the end - baaaad Kate). It’s out in the UK in October 09, and the title is Temporary Boss, Permanent Mistress. It’s part of the ‘Undressed by the Boss’ miniseries. I really enjoy writing office romances. (Though I admit that most of this one takes place outside the office.) This one is also dedicated to a fellow author friend: lovely Nicola Cornick, who let me grill her about her own Arctic adventure.

Plan for today: do some work this morning and tidy the house, as I have a research session with a fellow Medical author today.

Oh, all right. I’m having lunch with my mate Caroline Anderson. And we’ll eat chocolate and talk too much... which is pretty much par for the course where romance authors are concerned. We don’t get out very often. We spend our days chained to a desk, maybe with a canine or feline companion, and rarely talk to others – well, except maybe the characters in our heads.

This is my usual companion, in a bit of a grump (two seconds earlier, he’d been lying on his back, snoring. I tried to get a pic. He was not amused).

He has one shoe in front of him; usually there are more, one from each person in the house. He never chews them: he just likes to have them nearby. Readers of book 2 of the To Tame a Playboy duo (out in May) might spot that Byron is the original of Bramley, aka Imelda. My guitar case is to one side of his bed and my nice comfy reading chair on the other... and messy shelves behind him. However, my hot lunch date from yesterday – en route from his dental appointment – has agreed I can have another bookcase, so I will tidy my shelves when he delivers said bookcase. Oh, hang on, that makes it a quadruple celebration?

Let's make it five. Nell Dixon and Shirley Wells are both celebrating new books with competitions - and you could win books, so go over to their blogs (click on the links).

And as good things come in threes, let's have an additional one. Go over to Diane's blog and wish her happy birthday for this weekend.

So what are you celebrating today?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Two books out this month AND your editor loved your changes.
How fantastic is that!
And look at those covers! They are absolutely gorgeous.
Have a lovely day - frosty but sunny here. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to The Children’s Doctor’s Special Proposal - I will keep my eyes peeled for it over here in NZ. And I love the shiekh book cover - yummy!

Diane said...

Thank you for the link. :o) I was just about to add a comment when I thought, ooh, that's me.

I love your Sheikh cover, and good news on the Norway book.

What am I celebrating today? The one thing you've already mentioned (yes, I have a whole birthday weekend, me, not just a day), and the arrival of spring - both out in the world and emotionally. :D

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link, Kate.

Hope you had a super lunch and lots of chocolate to celebrate. What's a celebration without chocolate?

Wonderful pic of Byron - even if he does look a little lost with only one shoe... ;o)

Donna Alward said...

Holy moly woman, what a cornucopia of good news.

I got author copies of a reissue of The Soldier's Homecoming that came out in a hardback large print version. :-) That's my celebrating. otherwise I'm doing lots of snuggling this weekend with my youngest who is virused.

Lacey Devlin said...

Love your covers Kate!

I'm fascinated by your dog too! It's so cute that he wants a shoe from each of you by his bed :)

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - almost as fantastic as having your second book accepted *g* - congrats!

Kate Hardy said...

Katie - thank you. I think the Med is next month for you, but the Sheikh will be a couple of months later. (It's beginning to be like time differences: hard to work out!)

Kate Hardy said...

Diane - happy birthday :o) - and glad to hear Spring is sprung in several ways.

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - I went to Hotel Chocolat the day before. My decoy bag worked (DH and the kids think I keep research notes in the bag on my desk. No, that's the bag in my filing cabinet *g*).

Byron was happier later when he'd added another three to his pile.

Kate Hardy said...

Donna - congrats on the author copies, and hugs on your littlie - hope the virus has gone now.

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - he's a cutie. But it does mean we're always playing 'hunt the shoe'!