Monday, March 23, 2009

Ancient glass

Current work: fic and nonfic
Listening to: John Martyn (DH insisted)
Reading: various research stuff

Busy weekend. Friday, stayed up late with DH watching a bio of John Martyn, followed by a concert.

Saturday involved taking the last pics for the new nonfic. Last time we were in Ipswich, I couldn’t take most of the pics, owing to the buildings in question being covered in scaffolding. This time, they were all free from scaffolding, the light was in the right direction (I’d sussed last time that we needed afternoon shots) and it was a glorious, glorious day. My camera battery was on the point of expiring, but there was just enough power left to take what I needed.

We also stopped off at one of my ‘obscure little churches’ on the way home – for the same book, but this was a 13th-century chapel which was used as a barn, but has been... not restored, exactly. But it’s how it would’ve been in the 13th century. (Except there would have been no benches. Seating hadn't quite come in.)

And with yesterday being Mother’s Day in the UK... obviously it meant a trip by DH to see his mum, a trip by me to see my stepmum and put flowers on my mum’s grave (and I’ll be calling the parish council this week, when I’m capable of sounding reasonable, to ask why the ‘push pot’ I use for fresh flowers has been removed, when I haven’t been notified that there is a problem using them and other people have them). And then, as it was sunny, the four of us went out after lunch. Given that it was Mother’s Day, it was my choice. I suggested Blickling, but on the way we stopped to see some wall paintings.

This is Doubting Thomas, from St Faith’s in Little Witchingham (the painting is from the middle of the 14th century).

And somehow it ended up being a churchcrawling afternoon. (It was DH’s suggestion, actually. Though obviously I didn’t protest.) This is a particularly special piece of glass with you from St Peter’s in Ringland: a 14th-century centaur, playing a viol and with a dog running by his feet. Utterly lovely.
The grille behind it is to protect it from vandalism: and the fact that it’s necessary is a very sad reflection on our times. Quite what goes through the head of someone who smashes windows in a church for fun – particularly when early glass is involved – is completely beyond me. Even if you disagree with the religion, why destroy something irreplaceable? (Sorry. Off my soapbox.)

Plan for today: I am on a screaming deadline. (Two of them, actually.) So guess what I’m doing today?

6 comments:

Jan Jones said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend, Kate. I adore that centaur.

(Good luck with the deadline)

Liz Fielding said...

Glad you had such a lovely weekend, Kate.

Hugs on the deadlines.

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - I knew you'd love that centaur. (And thanks for the good wishes. They're needed.)

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - thanks. Hugs gratefully accepted!

Anonymous said...

What fantastic photos - thank you for sharing. And the weather was glorius! All the better to enjoy Mothering sunday where mum does not do ALL the cooking.
Hope the writing runs from your energised fingers LOL

linda margaret said...

Kate;

To have such history on your doorstep or at least close by. I am envious. History on this side of the Atlantic is so relatively recent. I am glad you had a good Mothering Sunday and got to spend it for the most part with your husband and children.

Linda