Thursday, February 12, 2009

Perfect day

Current work: Tinkering with new Medical
Listening to: Sheryl Crow
Reading: next on TBR pile

Yesterday was definitely the perfect day. Lots of cards and emails and texts, some very nice and thoughtful pressies, and a day spent pottering about, talking to people I love, having a wander through my beloved city (and my favourite place in it, the Cathedral), and spending my birthday money on something I really, really wanted (all right, so it involves my bracelet…).

Had a very indulgent crayfish salad for lunch (OK, will admit panna cotta was also involved), then went out to dinner with DH and the children at Yellows (Delia Smith’s family-oriented restaurant). The children said it was the best burger they’d ever had; DH enjoyed his; and my Caribbean chicken (marinated in lime, ginger and coconut) was just fabulous. Sticky ginger pudding with home-made vanilla ice-cream to follow (irresistible). And a very nice glass of wine, too. (Being officially middle-aged now, I’m going for quality rather than quantity.) The staff were nice, too, so we’ll definitely go back. Lots of laughter and fun and just being together: my definition of perfect.

Spent the rest of the evening curled up on the sofa with DH – still a bit wiped from London, so was too tired to read. Watched a programme about architecture; I think DH is regretting this today because now I’m a little more awake I’ve been musing about how nice it would be to restore a folly and add a complementary modern extension… However, that’s more likely to end up as a book fantasy, as a) it’s out of our financial remit and b) I couldn’t handle the disruption – I need a nice, quiet year.

Plan for today: take my PC in for data transfer (and please let me get it back today); potter about a bit with new outline; maybe go and see Dad (roads are unpleasant this morning, so will wait and see if it thaws before lunchtime). And I am finally doing a post office run...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday! I forgot to tell you yesterday!

Unknown said...

Now I am humming the lovely Lou Reed song in my head...

So glad you had a perfect day, honey. YOU DESERVE IT!!!

xxx

Liz Fielding said...

A belated Happy Birthday, Kate. I'm glad you had such a lovely day. The restaurant sounds lovely and meals out with the family are such a joy.

Kate Hardy said...

Kim - thanks :o)

Kate Hardy said...

India - thank you :o) (And I am humming Natalie Merchant, thanks to you...)

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - thank you. It was just a lovely, lovely day. (Been a lovely week.) We're at the stage now where the kids don't get bored waiting for their food and are happy to chat with us, so it's a sheer joy.