Monday, December 01, 2008

A season for giving

Current work: Medical, polishing
Listening to: Joni Mitchell, Blue (superb album - one of my favourites)
Reading: Kelly Hunter, Playboy Boss, Live-in Mistress (excellent read and great secondaries)

It's coming up for Christmas - the season for giving.

Jo Leigh, a fellow Harlequin author, lost her husband to cancer back in June. Not only did she lose the love of her life but, because she’s in the US and is self-employed, she has huge medical bills to deal with on top of it. So the romance writing community is rallying round to help with a grand auction.

This is particularly poignant for me because, only 10 days ago, I was having fairly major worries about being in a similar position myself in a few months’ time. Luckily, DH had the all-clear, but there but for the grace of God. (And he’s not better yet, though he’s insisting on going back to work. Sigh. Men.)

Anyway, if you’re interested in getting a book bundle or a critique (agent/editor/author) or mentoring or additional items, please click on the button below to see what’s up for grabs:


I’m offering a bundle of five signed copies - One Night, One Baby; The Doctor's Royal Love Child; Hotly Bedded, Conveniently Wedded; The Greek Doctor's New-Year Baby; and The Spanish Doctor's Love Child. (Go here if you want to bid for the bundle.)

So if you want to do something to help Jo (and also help yourself by getting a critique or mentoring or some good reads – or even buy someone else a Christmas present), please go and join the bidding.

Thanks.

And thank you also to readers who put me at #3 yesterday on the e-Harlequin top 10 bestsellers with Hotly Bedded, Conveniently Wedded. Really made my evening. Especially as, at that point, the book was pre-order only!

Am polishing the last half of the Med at the moment. Have been watching ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ (very pleased that Tom got through – yep, that’s my vote for the final) for inspiration. Am still mulling over the wedding ‘first dance’ song. I need a proper waltz (i.e. something in 3/4 time – annoyingly, all the songs I’ve picked or looked through in my piano books are 4/4 – and rats, that includes Take That’s ‘Rule The World’, which is just fabulous – will earmark that for another one). Not ‘Moon River’, as I’ve used it before; and not ‘Time in a Bottle’ (ditto). I was thinking maybe my own wedding song, Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Need Your Love So Bad’ (hey, would you guess DH is a blues fan?). But I’m open to suggestions...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No idea if it is a waltz but Big & Rich's 'Lost In This Moment' is a lovely wedding song.

Melissa Amateis said...

How wonderful of the romance community to help one of their own. That's the great thing about romance writers - always there for each other. :-)

Anonymous said...

Just to put this out there as a part of the "Season for giving" theme.

I implore your readers, all around the world, to please give to the Salvation Army's Red Kettle Campaign this holiday season. The reason I say this is because t helps people like Mrs. Leigh, and others, who may not be able to afford things that they desperately need.

So please, even a penny (pence, pound, lira, whatever) is enough to help one family!

I know that if I have the money and the auction will still be going on, I will definitely be bidding on the things