Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ring out the old


Today’s a day for looking back. What kind of a year has 2008 been?

Workwise
It’s been great.

I was also Norfolk’s ‘writer in residence’ for the National Year of Reading 2008, which was a real honour. I had a ball talking in schools and at libraries, and achieved a personal ambition because I actually cut the ribbon and opened the new school library at Wicklewood. (How cool is that? I still haven’t quite got over it.)

But best of all were the two career highlights. The big one was winning the RNA Romance Prize 2008 with Breakfast at Giovanni’s (US title: In Bed With Her Italian Boss). I wasn’t expecting it and it was just wonderful. I was also shortlisted for the inaugural East Anglian Book Awards with Heroes, Villains and Victims of Norwich. That kind of accolade from the publishing world, together with the lovely reader letters I’ve had this year telling me how much people enjoyed my books, nice reviews, and the emails and letters I had over the year from people congratulating me on the award/shortlisting, and the way everyone cheered spontaneously at the M&B party in September when Karin Stoecker listed the year’s highlights and mentioned Gio… that’s really made my year. The fact that I’ve achieved something, and people have been genuinely pleased for me.

Personally

2008 vies with 1986-7 for being the worst year of my life. Not going into details, but I’m very glad to see the back of this year. I managed to smile my way through it, most of the time, pretending that everything was hunky-dory when it really wasn’t at all because one crisis hit after another. This summer, when we had a lot of major things happen in the space of two weeks, was spectacularly horrible. So I’d like to say a special thank you to the people who were so kind and supportive in the darkest bits of the year – those who sent me cards and emails and pictures just to make me smile, those who gave me real and cyber hugs, those who sent me books and chocolate and music to distract me, and those who were careful not to lean on me because they realised I was completely out of emotional resources and just couldn’t give anything more/be a listening ear the way I normally am. I appreciated every single one of you: I truly am blessed with my family and friends. (And I hope the people concerned know I would do the same for them, if the situation were reversed.)

So how did I do with my goals?

The first one was exercise. It was fine for the couple of days until Dad went into hospital – and then, as my life for the next month became “school run, hospital, school run, help with homework and sort dinner, try frantically to keep work ticking over so I don’t end up in a financial mess, rely on husband to do much more than his far share to keep house ticking over”… I really didn’t have the time. And it didn’t get much better after Dad was out of hospital. I spent the whole year running to stand still, metaphorically. (Sadly, metaphors and worrying don’t burn calories. Or I would be fit and substantially thinner.)

Second was weight management. See above.

Third was writing. This was a three-pronged one. Firstly, I wanted to merge my ‘Modern Heat voice’ and ‘Medical Romance voice’ and grow my ‘brand’ (aka hot weepies with a real-world, warm feel to them). I think I’ve managed it, but the reason I hope so is embargoed at the moment. (I will spill the beans, the minute I’m allowed to!) Secondly, the project I really wanted to work on: it fell between the cracks because Real Life got severely in the way, and it was just too much to cope with, even for me in Superwoman mode. (I had to shift deadlines, as it was; my publishers were all very kind and understanding, but I still hated having to be in that position. It felt like failure.) Thirdly, I wanted to sell another local history book by the end of the year – actually, I sold three, and the next three or four years’ books are pencilled in with Breedon. So I think that goal can count as pretty much achieved.

Three goals. Two flops, one achieved. Yup, about the same as last year. Need to set smarter goals, methinks.

1 comment:

Jan Jones said...

And you forgot to mention that you've come out of the end of the year smiling rather than in pieces.

Big plus I think!