Monday, April 14, 2008

stormy weather

Current work: nonfiction
Listening to: Sheryl Crow
Reading: Kelly Hunter, Taken by the Bad Boy (great read – absolutely cracking dialogue, and I’m not just saying that because she’s my friend)

Had the most incredibly loud storm on Friday – well, it was only one bang of thunder, but it was enough to make the house shake and I could hear it very, very loudly WITHOUT having sound in. Dog is not normally that much of a wuss, but he shot across from his bed to my office chair and nosed mu knee, and when I moved round he put his paws round my neck and buried his head in my shoulder, shivering. Poor boy. After I’d calmed him down, he fetched a shoe from each member of the family and plonked it in his bed before curling himself round them. Dog clearly prefers security shoes to a security blanket…

Saturday, we didn’t have storms. I needed to do some pics for the current book, so I persuaded DH and the kids to traipse round with me on a field trip. (Next weekend, if it’s dry, I’m going to have another attempt at photographing certain remains – this weekend, on Saturday I was slightly nervous about whether this horse was going to mind me crossing his field… and when I checked on Google Earth at home I discovered I was two fields too far south. Grr.) En route, we had a quick stop at the seaside. (Sheringham.)

It was, um… Cold. So we had an ice cream. (Hey. Have to support local businesses, and it was locally made hazelnut ice cream.)

Sunday, more research. We got to Ingham, and talk about hail! My first thought at seeing these big white blobs landing on me was along the lines of, ‘OMG, I’ve just stepped into Daphne du Maurier’s The Birds and I’m in trouble…’ Anyway. Took shelter in the church (and also took the photographs I needed). Then to Happisburgh and, as you can see from the pic of the lighthouse below, the sky was a tad menacing.

Storm ahoy. On the way back to Norwich, we saw some enormous sheets and forks of lightning (sadly, I wasn’t fast enough to get pics), and when we reached Coltishall the hail was an inch deep on the road. Definitely stormy weather. Dog was very pleased to see us.

Saturday also brought me a Japanese edition of The Cinderella Project – if you’d like to see the cover, take a look over here.

2 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

That's a lovely cover, Kate. Is Aphrodite the ModernHeat name in Japan?

Melissa Amateis said...

My dog "chases" thunderstorms. He will literally run back and forth in the yard when we have a storm and bark. It's the craziest thing. The other one hides in his doghouse or tries to get inside.

I can't WAIT for thunderstorm season! I love storms. :-)