Monday, March 03, 2008

Belated happy mother's day

Current work: revisions (depends how daughter feels today)
Listening to: Katie Melua
Reading: next up on my TBR pile

Nice weekend, though I didn’t get much done. Friday, spent most of the day sleeping; Saturday, went out to get last-minute bits for son ready for today - and I'd almost forgotten what week it was. Publication week. So this is what I spotted on the shelves. Sold to the Highest Bidder is out now...

In the afternoon, went to see my stepmum to give her flowers and Mother's Day cards, and to put some flowers on my mum’s grave. Dad’s not too good at the mo but am not blogging about it, in fairness to him.

It was Mothering Sunday yesterday, so I’d promised not to work and we went out for the day. (Had gorgeous flowers and the new Katie Melua album from the kids.) I had some pics I needed to take for the current nonfiction, so as it was a sunny day DH was pretty indulgent. ‘This is another lump of masonry, isn’t it?’ No, it’s a whole arch. (In the middle of lots of geese!) It also involved a few tiny churches. He’s really good-natured about my trainspotter tendencies.

Then, as promised, we went to the beach. I love the way the seagulls sit on the sea defences, looking down and waiting for someone on the beach below to drop a chip. Definitely blew some of the cobwebs out (as you can see from the waves).


Son is off on his first residential school trip today. School said he needed a ‘small’ suitcase… then proceeded to list all the things he needed, which would NOT fit in a small suitcase. It’s one of these ‘outdoor bound’ places and the kids are going to get wet and muddy, therefore need a change of clothes as well as their outdoor ones; then there’s the sleeping bag and the wellies and… and… and… He’s going to have a great time but this is the first time he’s been away from home without us, so I’m going to be immensely fidgety. (Woke up from a nightmare this morning and could NOT go back to sleep.)

Madam looked very pale and unwell last night, so she might end up staying home today. Which rather puts the dampener on my plans to sort revisions, but hey. Better to be ill now than in three weeks’ time when she’ll be flower girl at my cousin’s wedding.

6 comments:

Ray-Anne said...

I am so envious that you live near the coast, especially on a sunny day. Sounds like a busy week ahead - again!
It must be SO thrilling to see YOUR book on a bookshop shelf :-)

Unknown said...

Hope son has a fantastic time (I'm pretty sure he will-- though whether he'll also brush his teeth and change his socks is another matter!!) and that the time speeds by for you until you have him back again. As you know (don't you just...!) I'm a puddle when mine go away, so I'm sending lots of hugs!

Amy Andrews said...

Hey Kate - first time I've been back since the site has changed. Love it. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Kate trust me, from my oh-so-wonderful man wisdom (or mansdom as I call it. lol!) You're son will have a wonderful time and this will be something that he will never forget and he will want to experience it as much as possible.

Jan Jones said...

Ah, happy days. I remember a comment a friend of mine made when we collected ours after one school trip. "I've checked the bag - everything's wet except the face-flannel."
(She very kindly said I could use that line in a book one day)

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-anne - I'm very lucky to live 30 minutes away from the sea. And yep, it's another busy week. And that thrill NEVER goes away, even though that was my 29th on the shelves.

India - me, too (on the hope and the puddle!)

Amy - thanks :o)

Lou - I really hope so. (Except it snowed last night...)

Jan - we were told to pack two big black bin liners for wet and muddy clothes! (And what a great line. Definitely use it.)