Friday, February 08, 2008

thoroughly spoiled (and enjoying every second of it)

Current work: proofs, day two (sigh)
Listening to: various cello pieces
Reading: Fiona Harper: English Lord, Ordinary Lady (just loved this – her books are getting better and better and she’s going to be a real superstar of the future)

Am going to be professional and not moan about my proofs. Suffice it to say that I’ve been forced to visit Hotel Chocolat to get me through them, and I’ve never put so much red ink on my own work before – and I’ll be asking for second proofs to make sure my (correct) grammar has been reinstated.

Righty. Back to nice stuff. Thanks to Jan and Amy for the suggestions yesterday – I have indeed talked to David Dane and we’re going to meet up for coffee and a proper discussion after half term to see if this is doable. He’s a lovely man and we both think we’re on the same wavelength. (This might also have some bearing on my nonfiction in the future. I am very hopeful here as my lovely ed at Halsgrove is into Fine Art…)

I’ve also been thoroughly spoiled on the floral front. Special thanks to my dear friend Kate Walker for these lovely, lovely roses.

I had them in a vase for 24 hours (with rose food) so they were at their best before transferring them - and this is where they are now. It feels horribly decadent to use the rose bowl; however, that’s what it’s for. I will just be very good with the silver polish. My flower-arranging skills will also improve *g*. (Quick question to those in the know: should I be using oasis in future or is water OK?)

Went to visit Dad this morning and took him his temporary birthday present. (Temporary, because he wants a bird table but isn’t yet well enough to choose it himself, so he has an IOU from me and a pile of CDs so he has something to unwrap.) His first comment to me this morning was, ‘So how does it feel to be famous?’ Bless. I’m not that sure I am. But I’m very happy. Nipped into town to get various bits for Sunday’s family party (OK, more champagne) from M&S. (Can also recommend their crayfish and mango salad. Utterly scrumptious and not that bad calorie-wise.)

Came back to discover a special delivery from – oh, OK, I’ll boast, because this isn’t an everyday occurrence – Harlequin’s global editorial series director, the UK editorial director, my editor and the team at M&B. Absolutely beautiful and my FAVOURITE colours. Very special thanks to them, too. Delphiniums are one of my favourite flowers ever, and the only reason I don't grow them is because every time I've tried, one of my spaniels has dug it up and brought the flowers in to me.



Life right now is just fabulous. All I need now is a magic wand so I can put sparkle into certain other people’s lives and fix some unfixable things… but failing that I’ll do what I know I can do. Write books that make people happy.

5 comments:

Ray-Anne said...

'Write books that make people happy.'
And long may you continue.
What stunning flowers! Perfect.

Nell Dixon said...

Lovely flowers and I think your supposed to use oasis.

Anonymous said...

I'm late but CONGRATULATIONS!! SO well deserved!! Hugs!!

michellewillingham said...

I'm late stopping in, but huge congrats, Kate!

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - thank you.

Nell - thanks, will get some today.

Jill - many thanks!

Michelle W - lovely to see you, and thank you!