Thursday, February 07, 2008

still in dog-with-six-tails mode

Current work: TCVB (honestly, I really will do some writing today – I’ve nearly calmed down enough to work) and proofs of Norwich HVV
Listening to: various cello pieces
Reading: next on my TBR pile

… though life is getting back to normal. (Sort of.) We haven’t yet had the family celebratory dinner – Tuesday evening was parent-teacher consultation (and it seems my daughter is bright but lazy. How? How? HOW can she be lazy, when her mother is a workaholic?); last night I think my lack of sleep was finally catching up on me; and tonight we have a meeting about son’s residential trip (three days away at one of these activity centres that does abseiling and wet, muddy, tough-guy stuff) and need to move furniture ready for the new stuff that’s being delivered tomorrow. If it arrives early enough we’ll go out tomorrow night; and if not it’ll be Saturday.

I did, however, have lunch out yesterday with my lovely ex-PTA friends. (Waves to Jo – thank you for the champagne!) And I have major puppy envy as my friend Sarah has this gorgeous, gorgeous Westie puppy and I met him today…

Ahem. And I did some PR stuff. Here is the official photo, thanks to the RNA. And I love what they put as a trailer in the local paper: ‘Our heroine gets her fairytale ending’. That’s just so lovely!



And I had some GORGEOUS flowers from my agent – the same shade of pink as I was wearing on Monday! (Roses and gerberas and freesias and lilies. Just lovely.)

I’ve been thinking about buying myself something to keep to commemorate the RNA Romance Prize. Most of my friends are convinced that I’m going to buy yet another Radley signature handbag… Well, I thought about it. But actually, I’d like something a little more visual.

I’d like a painting.

A special one.

Something that reminds me of Breakfast at Giovanni’s: so it’ll be compact (as in a 50,000-word book is compact) - and warm and realistic. (I am still really, really pleased about that description.)

And it needs to be made in Norfolk. Just like my book was.

Which means I’ll be moseying round local galleries for a while. I think I know what I want, but the exact painting will choose me. It’s likely to be a seascape (aka North Norfolk, my favourite place in the world). 0r poppy fields, or maybe a windmill and/or sunrise/sunset over the Broads. Whatever: it definitely needs a proper Norfolk sky.

I like David Dane’s work but, apart from the fact his paintings are snapped up the second they go on exhibition, I have a feeling he’s out of my price range. I really like the one at the bottom of this page and lots on this page. I also REALLY like Gerard Stamp – check out the Marshscape exhibition, which has utterly fabulous use of the light - but he’s *definitely* out of my price range, and anyway those paintings are bigger than what I have in mind.

So. Something special. About ten inches by twelve. Quite traditional (my main love is Victorian art). And something that will make me smile every time I look up from my computer screen. Watch this space…

It’s also the M&B party in London tonight to celebrate the centenary. Unfortunately, I can’t make it (DH is busy at work and short-staffed so it’s not fair to ask for another two days, i.e. today and tomorrow because I wouldn’t be able to get a train home). So I’ll be raising a cup of coffee to them all at home, and look forward to a full report from my friends. Am sure they are going to have a BRILLIANT time.

And I'll reiterate that I am very proud to write for a publisher that's been going for 100 years and brought so much pleasure to so many people over those 100 years. Congratulations to Mills & Boon. Here’s to the next 100 years.

7 comments:

Ray-Anne said...

A painting sounds a fabulous idea - and as you say, the perfect visual stimulus and reminder of your special day.
I love the 'Summer on Black Horse Broad' by Dane on the second link. Very nice.
Have a splendid lunch. And it sounds like a very busy couple of days to come!
LOl Ray-Anne

Jan Jones said...

Now that's a really nice idea, Kate. Why not contact the artist to tell him exactly why you'd like something of his - maybe he could do you a special price?

Nell Dixon said...

Lovely idea, Kate. I bought a Radley laptop bag for my computer as my momento. lol

Amy Andrews said...

A painting is such a brilliant, very personal gift to yourself. I think it's a fabulous idea.

I bought a painting for my office at the end of last year. I'm starting to treat my writing space with the respect it deserves - claiming my space - and surrounding myself with things that either represent me or please me or mean something to me.
I'd been after a painting for a while. The trouble is, I didn't know what I wanted but like you, I knew I would know it when I saw it.
I wanted something that either spoke about my muse, about the "other person" inside me or said something about women and female bonding and friendships.
I found something just perfect in a local gallery BUT it was sold :-( Not to be discouraged I contacted the artist and she did me something very similar. So, like Jan says - maybe you should contact Dane?
My Moonlight Muse oil sits on my wall(it's huge mind you)and I draw both respite and inspiration from her.
It's one of the best things I ever spend serious money one. I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Kate--all of that sounds lovely!

I just wanted to let you know that my book arrived yesterday, as well as the extra surprise you added. I just wanted to say thank you for both, and once again congratulations!

Melissa Amateis said...

What a good idea - to buy yourself a painting. And I love the pic of you - you look so happy!

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - absolutely :o)

Jan - great idea. I rang him.

Nell - I remember. (Was that me being a bad influence again? *g*)

Amy - thanks to you and Jan, I think it's going to happen for me, too.

Lou - glad it arrived safely, and thanks :o)

Melissa - thanks, and I was - still am!