Wednesday, February 27, 2008

so did it move for you?

Current work: TCVB /website coding
Listening to: Deep Purple, Purpendicular (OK, so ‘Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming’ is on loop)
Reading: Liz Fielding, The Bride’s Baby (another gem from Liz – fab characterisation, a plot that works, dialogue I wish I’d written, a hero to die for… and a couple of sucker-punches when you don’t expect them. And a fantasy wedding that would definitely suit me. Not forgetting the shoes... Just excellent.)

Apparently there was an earthquake last night at 1am. Quite a big one: 5.2 on the Richter scale. And as the epicentre was in Lincolnshire (aka our neighbouring county) it was felt in Norfolk. Everyone was talking about it in the playground this morning… and I was somewhat embarrassed to admit that I didn’t hear a thing. (I sleep through thunderstorms - which I suppose is to be expected from someone who can’t hear, vbg.) Hmmm. It’s given me a better idea for a scene in the book I wasn’t altogether happy about. (And yes, of course I grilled everyone about sounds, feeling, the lot. ) Am I the only person in England who slept through it?

I spent Monday evening and Tuesday morning banging my head against a brick wall – I couldn’t get the coding to work on probably the most important page on my new website. Sigh. I’ve managed to make an alternative work because I don’t want to spend hours and hours on one piece of code (hence the Deep Purple – really suited my mood).

Guitar yesterday was good. We’re going to raise my game… so Jim was flicking through grade 4 pieces and persuading me to give some of them a go. (Which was fine until I got to the one where the time signature changed with every bar. And the one with two time signatures… And then he cracked up and said they weren’t really sightreading pieces, but as I was doing OK I could have a grade 3 piece this week. So we’re doing a Bach sarabande from the Lute Suite.)

Today: one of my friends is celebrating her 50th book, and I’ve promised her a blog post so I need to get that sorted. Other things on my to-do list today:
  • book hotel for Lincoln (am involved in the Book Festival and DH and the kids have decided they want to come with me and make a weekend of it)
  • sort some more coding
  • work on the book (this one has the equivalent of a highlighter pen and six stars beside it)
  • return my library books and pick up the new ones
  • order some more library books
  • check diary to sort out a proper research day without getting sidetracked by thoughts of lunch out

Three weeks until half term. And I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, workwise. Righty. Work, and no distractions today.

3 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

Didn't feel it in Wales, Kate -- but we are almost in the Irish Sea.

And what would I do without online renewal for libary books!

Jan Jones said...

Son and I slept through it too, Kate. Or else we simply didn't have the quake in Newmarket.

Oh, and I think you'll find it's the end of term in three weeks, not half-term. Sorry.

Melissa Amateis said...

I thought of all my UK friends when I heard the news. Glad everything is ok!