Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Return of the zombie

Current work: TCVB, local history book, coding website
Listening to: various
Reading: too tired

Fab guitar lesson yesterday - was hideously rusty, so Jim made me start at the beginning of the red book and work through selected pieces. As in the sort I would normally moan about playing, rather than nice Romantic (note cap R - I do indeed mean early 19th-century) pretty pieces I like playing. So there we were, with me muttering 'whoops, wrong note' every so often. But by the time we'd finished I was back on the Grade 2 pieces. Sor, this week. And although I had considered dropping my lessons down to once a fortnight, I've decided to keep them as they are because I work hard and deserve some headspace. (I may come to regret this bolshiness at some point in the future...)

Now, why is it that if a man wakes up in the middle of the night, he has to nudge his wife and ask her if she’s awake, too? (Women don’t do this sort of thing. Well, not unless they’ve dreamt there was a burglar and the dream woke them up, but that’s different.)

I am now officially in zombie mode. I’ve also had a busy morning talking to social services, so I need to get my head back into work mode – which means probably nonfiction to ease me back into it.

However – glass half full. Because DH woke me at 4 a.m. today, I have absolutely no compunctions about setting my alarm for 3 a.m. to watch the eclipse tonight - and he will also be taking dog to the vet’s tonight or tomorrow for me as part of his penance (!). Why? Well, my spaniel is an incredibly sweet-tempered, gentle, QUIET dog. But he’s also quite wussy and will hide behind my legs, barking at any other four-legged animals, which means the annual visit to the vet for vaccinations is a complete nightmare. (So are walks by the river, so his walks tend to be more urban - friends who've gone to the river with me and and the dog have been very surprised because he doesn't act at all in character whilst in walkies mode.)

I also need to get him a new bed for my study, as he’s decided he really likes my office chair - and as it’s our guest bed I don’t want it to smell doggy.

Yes, of course I chucked him off. But he did look cute. He looks quite alert here instead of snoring because, as I clicked the shutter, he heard the postman's van pulling up outside. More flowers, courtesy of my big sister :o) I could really get used to this award-winning author business...

5 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

You need the head space! Be strong.Keep the weekly lesson.

I have yet to determine why there is this masculine belief that if they are awake for whatever reason, they should make sure you are awake as well.

Melissa Amateis said...

My husband wakes up all the time at odd hours of the morning. And what does he do? Turn on the t.v. and pop in a movie. And yet he doesn't think to turn the volume DOWN and ends up waking me up. Then he looks at me when I stare at him with angry eyes and says, "Oh, did I wake you up?"

GRRRRRRR.

Jan Jones said...

Um, is is just me, or do you have really small guests, Kate?

Kate Hardy said...

Michelle and Melissa - the workings of the male mind are a complete mystery.

Jan - the chair turns into a single bed (and it's wide enough for me, which I think says a lot *g*). It's our spare-spare bed, i.e. for when we have two lots of people staying.

Unknown said...

Aw, he looks really, really cute. Far too cute to be evicted. :o)