Thursday, February 21, 2008

obscure

Current work: should be TCVB, local history book, coding website (but there’s another book setting the lightbulbs off… so I’m having a research day)
Listening to: Corelli’s concerti grossi
Reading: too tired to read last night

The weather forecast really wasn’t promising for the eclipse. I woke at 3am (even though I hadn’t set my alarm) and the sky was full of clouds. Not a single break. Sigh: the next total lunar eclipse visible from the UK will be in 2015. Seven years to wait. Grr.

So I did what any self-respecting bookaholic in a sulk would do: online antiquarian book-shopping. Actually, I was reasonably good (but that’s mainly because I’m waiting for three email enquiries to be answered). I’ve ordered one of the books I want from the US (on the basis that it’s a US press, and is more easily available there, and I will at least get a new copy).

So am I being profligate for the sake of it? No. It’s all to do with research. Another book-of-my-heart which decided its outline needed to be drafted last night and I lost track of time. Obviously I need to pitch this properly, but this is one that I think needs full colour print to do it justice. There’s a gap in the market (which won’t be filled by the expensive book I just preordered with my birthday Amazon vouchers – though it’ll be good research material). So I’m more or less a happy puppy. (Or I would’ve been, had I not checked if my cover photo for the April book was up yet – it’s not – and found some reviews. Some were very, very nice. Another – by one of the reviewers who seemed to love my stuff – wasn’t, so I guess the book didn’t suit her; other people have praised it for precisely the things this reviewer didn’t like. Ah well. Can’t please everyone all of the time, and reviews aren’t meant to be personal. The crows of doubt are cawing with glee, but I have a windowsill full of ‘congratulations on your award’ cards in view, so they can just flap off and find something more constructive to do. I’m busy.)

Actually, it’s worse than that. There are two books-of-my-heart yelling away in my head. So some of the things I’m after are first editions. Early 19th century. Hmm. Better get back to work and earn the money to buy them :o)

Am having a research day today. There are lots of other things I should be working on, but I need a little food for the soul. I also want to check some sources so I don’t waste library time tomorrow. Especially as I have only an hour, because then I’m meeting David Dane to talk about the painting - am very excited about that!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you Kate. It was touch and go here in Dallas for a while. In between the clouds passing over, it was spectacular. As each cloud passed it was like a headlamp on full bright as the eclipse was happening. Then it went a dull orange at full eclipse. It was luch a lovely mild night I sat out in the garden in a T shirt and shorts. Of course this all happened between 7.43pm to just after 9.00pm so no having to set the alarm. This was the first lunar eclipse that I've ever seen. Magical!

Chris.

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks for sharing, Chris - almost makes up for the fact the clouds got in the way here.

I did see the last lunar eclipse, including the 'diamond ring' - so I know just how amazing it can be!

Anonymous said...

Kate if you haven't already seen some pictures of the eclise here's a link to some taken in Illinois.

http://www.jubchuqun.com/Journal/pictures/Lunar-Eclipse-022008.gif

Chris.

Ray-Anne said...

I woke around 3 just by chance and the moon was visible in Hampshire - with a faint pink cloud over about half the surface. Sorry to say my bed was calling and I didn't stay up to watch the full display.
Hurray for 'books of the heart'- no crows allowed to land on that roof - no sireee -good on you. Have a great day. Artist commissions. Research. Can't be bad. :-)

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks for the link, Chris - fabulous.

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - am envious! And thanks, I had a lovely day on Friday.

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - am envious! And thanks, I had a lovely day on Friday.