Monday, February 18, 2008

Back to work, a new cover and some nice publicity

Current work: TCVB and coding website
Listening to: various
Reading: Nicola Marsh, Purchased for Pleasure (enjoyed it); Ian McEwan, On Chesil Beach (I like his writing, but at the moment I can’t sympathise with either main character and there is a very odd tone to the book)

Lovely weekend with two of my oldest friends. Much consumption of food, bubbly and coffee. Even more talking. Lots of laughs. And a lovely walk down to the river on Sunday as the weather was glorious (unlike today, which is FREEZING).

I mentioned last Wednesday that son has been making films. He finalised the disk and showed us his films over the weekend, complete with sound effects. DH has an audio tape of himself and his brothers acting out ‘Star Trek’ from about 1975; there are many similarities between that and son’s films. My favourites are the ones where son introduces himself, and tells us with a cheeky grin what his mission is. ‘To eavesdrop on my mum and embarrass her with the film…’ Hilarious. Actually, he did me a huge favour because it made me realise how much of a blob I am. (I know that sounds weird, but I tend to be in my book world much of the time so I don’t notice reflections in shop windows etc.) The scales were not good this morning, though nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Healthy eating and exercise routines need to go back in place right now.

Today, with term starting again, I should be getting back to my normal work routine. I’d like to curl up and go back to sleep, but that’s not going to help get my book back on track! Tomorrow I have my first music lesson for TWO WHOLE MONTHS – and I am so looking forward to it. Hopefully things will start to settle now.

My newest local history book is up on Amazon – and here’s the front cover (which shows Edith Cavell’s funeral):

It's out in June through Breedon.

Edit: and finally, my friend Michelle mentioned the Publishing Weekly blog to me - guess who's mentioned in today's post? Nip over here to see what Barbara Vey says... and do say hello... :o)

4 comments:

Ray-Anne said...

You must be proud of your creative offspring - and you are certainly not the only one avoiding full length mirrors!
Lovely morning here in Hampshire with a salmon pink dawn and a gentle frosty mist- hope the sun shines warm in Norwich today. :-)

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

So glad you enjoyed Purchased for Pleasure, Kate :)

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - I am :o) Hugs on the mirror thing. Hampshire sounds gorgeous - here it was very frosty (minus six degrees C... but no wind-chill so it was enjoyable) and there were pockets of very thick fog, especially around the river.

Nic - I did indeed :o) Yay for you.

Melissa Amateis said...

Oooh, how cool, Kate - Pub Weekly!

And yay for you on getting back to the exercise/healthy eating thing. Good for you!