Thursday, January 17, 2008

finally: my really exciting news

The official announcement has been made, so I am truly, truly thrilled to announce that Breakfast at Giovanni’s has been shortlisted for the Romantic Novelists Association’s Romance Prize 2008.


I’m absolutely delighted because this book – being my 25th published M&B – is special to me, and it’s also Mills & Boon’s centenary celebration year. So that’s a triple there: being on the RNA Romance Prize shortlist with my 25th M&B in the M&B centenary.

Thank you very much to the judges for choosing my book. And as I’ve had a particularly horrible year so far, this has helped to balance things out a bit.

Congratulations also to my friends on the shortlist. You can find it here at the RNA - some of my favourite authors (and real-life favourite people) are also nominated and I’m really pleased for them.

The winner is going to be announced at the RNA Awards lunch in Kensington on 4 February.

Bearing in mind that my birthday celebrations always begin a week before the actual day and carry on for a week afterwards, I’d say that’s rather fortuitous. What a start to my birthday celebrations: champagne and a posh lunch and a chance to chat to my agent and my editor and some very good friends I don’t see often enough.

Last time I was shortlisted, I was a bit overwhelmed and rabbit-in-headlights at the do. This time I know what to expect, so I’m going to go and have fun and enjoy it.

And in the meantime I’m giving away a signed copy of Breakfast at Giovanni’s, as part of my Pink Heart Society blog from yesterday. To be in the draw (which my daughter will do on Sunday evening, UK time), tell me which instrument Giovanni plays. (There’s a clue over here on my website - I only mention one instrument there. And the book is dedicated to the person who teaches me said instrument...)

24 comments:

juliemt said...

I'm so happy for you, Kate! You're a wonderful writer and you totally deserve this accolade!

Hope things get better for you,
Julie

Kate Hardy said...

Thank you very much, Julie - appreciated :o)

Jan Jones said...

Congratulations, Kate - but don't put me in the draw because I've already got my signed copy!

Melissa Amateis said...

Oooh, Kate, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You deserve it!

Unknown said...

Congrats! Thrilled for you. See you on the 4th!

Ray-Anne said...

What brilliant news for a gloomy week.
Right. Decision made. I AM going to the lunch on the 4th!
See you there in person.
AND I get to woot for my pals.
Looking forward to it.
:-)

robynl said...

a big congrats Kate; woohoo!!

He plays guitar.

Diane said...

Congratulations and good luck! See, you even got a screamer. :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Thank you, Jan. :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, Melissa - I'm really excited about it!

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - many thanks, look forward to seeing you there!

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - that's EXCELLENT news. (And you know what I'm going to be nagging you about *g*)

Kate Hardy said...

Robyn L - thank you! (And a double thank you for entering the competition. I was beginning to think - arrgh, nobody wants this...)

Kate Hardy said...

Diane - I'm going to mark that screamer for posterity *g*

Phillipa said...

Huge congratulations on your nomination, Kate - can I enter your competition?

Phillipa x

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, Pip - and course you can enter!

... are you going to be there on the 4th?

Unknown said...

Many congratulations, Kate. You deserve it. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

well I wish I could have saw this earlier, Congrats Kate!

and the answer is the guitar and for an added bonus your teacher is Jim Knight!

Congratulations anyways!

Phillipa said...

Kate. I'm not going to there on the 4th - and I feel guilty but I can't afford time away from the biz on this occasion (especially as I'm staying over at the Pure Passion awards two few weeks after the lunch.) But have a wonderful time - I'd love to meet you one day soon (and Liz F).

PS I really don't want to be tempted...

Nell Dixon said...

Mega congratulations!!!! I'm so thriled for you.

Anonymous said...

Kate! How wonderful! Congratulations! Enjoy the celebration...

Carol Hutchens

Maureen said...

Congratulations Kate!
That is very exciting. He plays the guitar.

CrystalGB said...

Congratulations Kate! :)

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley, Lou - thank you :o)

Philippa - shame, but we will meet one of these days :o)
(Are you doing Lincoln in May?)

Nell - thank you. Looking forward to seeing you!

Carol - thank you. Am so looking forward to it.

Maureen - thank you. It certainly is!

Crystal - thank you :o)