Monday, October 29, 2007

clearing the decks

Current work: loads to do!
Listening to: Cut, Millionairhead

I might’ve finished a book, but a) it was very late (agreed with ed, but am still not happy about it) and b) I have three more deadlines before the end of the year (yes, three), so I’m not planning to do that much loafing this week.

First up is clearing the decks. I loathe filing and tidying, but it’s something that has to be done. So I spent yesterday on admin stuff. Such as tidying my desk, printing out the book to send to my agent, sorting out essential correspondence (copyright stuff and accounts). And then I had to buy my baby something outrageous for her birthday. Something she’s wanted for AGES. Clue: it’s one of her mummy’s bad habits. (And no, I don’t mean chocolate or CDs – two words, initials R and H, if you need a second clue.)

Because of the cold/cough, I’m skipping my music lessons this week – I don’t feel up to playing, and I don’t want to spread the lurgy. For the same reason, I’m moving a planned photoshoot to next week. So that means I have the next couple of days to:
  • sort the outlines for next year’s books for my agent, ready for discussion on Friday
  • do a proper outline for the medical duo for my ed (‘book 2 has a Welsh hero’ is a bit too scrappy… I know where things are, in my head, but they need writing down)
  • copyedit the current PM job so I can post it to the typesetter on Monday
  • make a pile of phone calls (dog needs to go to vet for annual vaccinations, I need a taxi for Friday, and I’m talking to the chief librarian at the local newspaper as I’d like to borrow some photographs for the book)
  • sort my RWA membership and RITA submissions (I am in two minds about this…)
  • return books to the library and pick up new ones
  • get as much as I can done on the nonfiction (this is mainly putting my rough notes into proper order, seeing where the gaps are and filling them in where possible – those not will be earmarked for another research day)

Then on Wednesday I have a meeting with the guy I hope is going to be my new accountant (note to self, check ‘terms of engagement’ letter re old one; Thursday is my baby’s birthday (dinner out AND cake…); and Friday I’m in London for lunch and my annual ‘career planning’ meeting with my agent and editor in Richmond. Saturday, my best friend is coming up; Sunday we have a houseful for Madam’s family party (and I have much baking to do).

So it’s a busy week, really.

And then I’m starting my new fiction on Monday, with a clear head.

Oh, and this is the cover flat I got at the weekend, re my January US release. It isn’t the same as the one on Amazon (so I’ll be asking my ed on Friday what the difference is), but it’s gorgeous. Just what I'd wanted for the gardener book.


5 comments:

Diane said...

It's leather and you put things in it and carry it around with you. What a lucky, lucky girl.

Don't forget you're starting something else today too ... ;o)

Anonymous said...

lovely cover!

interesting name for the line though. lol!

Oh well, I look forward to reading it. I've been treating myself to Kate Walker and Anne MacAllister all weekend

Melissa Amateis said...

Oooh! I love the cover! Very lush and sensual.

You're a busy gal. I had a busy weekend, but didn't do a lick of writing. I did attend a writer's conference, though, so maybe that counts. ;-)

Unknown said...

That cover really is gorgeous!

Glad your daughter's starting off as she means to go on. A RH will be a wonderful pressie. Is it pink?

Kate Hardy said...

Diane - spot on. And I am indeed :o)

Lou - thank you. I will find out more from my editor on Friday, with luck. Glad you're enjoying AM and KW - two of my faves, too (books as well as personally.)

Melissa - isn't it lovely? And a writer's conference definitely counts. (They wipe me out completely.)

Shirley - she's been agitating for ages. And she didn't know what else she wanted. And she needs something nice to go with her new dress. It is indeed pink - the black version is at http://www.leathershop.co.uk/detail.asp?ID=7201 (Yes, I know. Expensive. But she's my only daughter... and it IS part of her birthday pressie.)