Sunday, September 09, 2007

still a bit fidgety

Current work: should be fiction but I’m escaping into 19th-century Norwich
Listening to: Bach
Reading: Elizabeth Oldfield, Vintage Babes

Still a bit fidgety (but thanks everyone who’s sent me private emails or commented on yeterday’s post).

Spent yesterday morning working on my current nonfiction – researching Amelia Opie. The Edinburgh Review rated her with Austen and Edgeworth as one of the finest women fiction writers of the early 19th century, and although she was slated for writing ‘an appalling domestic tragedy’ (Father and Daughter) she did at least write for everyone, not just the middle/upper classes. Her work made Sir Walter Scott cry – and she’s quoted as saying, ‘I like to make people cry, indeed, if I do not do it, all my readers are disappointed.’ Hmm. Sounds like a 21st-century romance author who lives in Norwich. Actually, I think I would’ve liked her. From my researches, I think a lot of her views were quite similar to mine.

DH came home with the local paper and my bit in it – lovely write-up (I smiled at the description of me) though sadly I do indeed look like a Belisha beacon in the pic – dear reader, please just pity me and read my book, because those dungeons were BOILING and I am happiest in a cool climate. Not quite enough to take away the bad taste of the nasty review (if anyone has any good methods of how to deal with upsetting reviews, please tell me – although it related to my nonfiction it’s actually scuppered my fiction right now) but it helped.

Afternoon – sneaked in some more work and then we had friends over for a barbecue.

Plans for today: spent the morning working on the nonfiction; need to get my head back to where it should be, and do revisions NOW.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - here's my take on bad reviews. Life is short and you could be dead tomorrow. Do you want to die having spend the last few days thinking about something you cant change and somebody you don't lke?
Also, I think we, writers as well as readers, tend to put reviewers on a pedestal - fair enough they can make or break - but as if they're worthier or smarter or better than the rest of us great unwashed. I always find it handy in that situation to think - at some stage in their perfect, pristine, holier-than-thou day they have to go to the toliet and wipe their bottom.

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, Amy - that's a good way of looking at it. Sending you a big hug.